Thursday, June 15, 2006

Lupine


The lupine are in bloom here in Maine. As I remember, my friends in Norway will have to wait another 2 or 3 weeks before the lupine will bloom there. (I wonder if Alaska also has lupine? We'll be there in about 3 weeks, so I will find out...maybe with some luck, they will be on the same blooming schedule as Norway)

This photo of the lupine in front of the lighthouse was taken almost a year ago in Port Clyde, Maine. We had gone to Port Clyde to celebrate our 20th Anniversary.

My love of lupines began years & years ago when my then dark-haired hubby brought me a huge bouquet, swiped from along the roadside. I had never noticed lupines before that day...but they've been my favorite flower ever since.

There are certain seasonal 'markers' that I look forward to each year. The first sign of spring for me is not a crocus pushing up through the thawing ground, or the trees forming the tiny buds on their branches....it's the Canada geese flying overhead announcing gloriously to the world below that they are back....spring is on it's way. The summer announcement doesn't come with such majesty from above....for me, my eyes look lower on the newly greened ground.....for the carpet of purple & pink lupine alongside the roads & highways here in Maine. Summer is here, better not blink.....


Here are a few more photos from our foggy trip to Port Clyde:


Maine Harbor Seals


Atlantic Puffins

Flowers at the ice cream shop


















Port Clyde shed

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home