Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The Land of "The Midnight Sun"


Thinking back on past packing mistakes, I went through some of my photos from Norway. (the above photo was taken from atop the hill behind our friend's island cabin) Going to Norway in '04 was one of the hi-lights of my life. I cannot wait to go back. BUT, we made some HUGE packing mistakes. I get embarrassed when I think about how much needless stuff we brought with us, and not enough of the important stuff, like warm clothing. The island we visited was just outside the artic circle, and although it was July, it was still pretty cold. I am assuming that Alaska could also have the same similar weather...hopefully this time I haven't completely botched the packing.

When we were in Norway, my friend Asle took us to a mountain called Torghatten...and there is an actual hole right through the middle of the mountain! It's quite the 'MUST SEE' of the area. We hiked up and walked through the hole to the other side.....this photo (above) is a view from inside the mountain looking out. You can see how big the hole is when I tell you that at the left corner of the hole, that is a person standing there....!



This photo of Katie, Kaja & Tora is a good example of "The Midnight Sun"...it was around 10:30pm when we were out enjoying the evening.

Norway is truly a beautiful country, but it's the kindness of the people that really has made a lasting impression on me. There is much we could learn from our Norwegian neighbors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home